Friday, July 11, 2014

I blinked, and summer is halfway over!

That seems to be the story of my life lately. Somehow when I wasn't paying attention, July 4th came and went.

June was packed with all things going-away. So many people are leaving...and they are people that are friends of the kids, friends of ours. And I'm not happy.

Last year was hard. We were adjusting to so much, but it was hard to come in and be the new girl. Not that I haven't done it many times before, but with the adoption, homeschooling, it was a tough few months. Now this summer all of those people we've gotten to know are off to start a new adventure at different bases. Hmph!

We've spent the past few weeks swimming,  having sleepovers, seeking out a/c at all costs, more sleepovers, seeking out more a/c, etc... The kids are all enjoying the free days of summer. They've all made friends here in the neighborhood. My doorbell constantly rings and kids come and go. Nathan and Katelyn were kind enough to share our big bottles of Gatorade with the neighborhood until I told them they could only share water. Then when our 5 gallon jug of Sparklets was gone in a day, I had to specify that he and Katelyn could share TAP water with the neighborhood.

But the kids are happy. They are riding bikes, playing basketball, and scariest of all, rollerskating. Katelyn has never been on skates, but every little girl should learn right?

So we suited her up with a helmet, knee pads, wrist guards, and elbow pads and off she went. Well..sort of. It took a day or two to get her to stop trying to walk. And that girl...just watching her try to stand still and keep her center of balance is exhausting. But per her usual, she does NOT give up. She's had them all of 4 days and is skating up and down the street and through the park like a pro. I'm not saying it's pretty, or graceful, but she's moving and she loves it!

Her English skills are remarkable. I've had others who meet her for the first time say that they cannot believe she just arrived in America a little over a year ago. She seems to be doing great. We try to talk about any issues, and we tell her over, and over, and over that we love her and she's here to stay. I love that she often rolls her eyes at me...that's okay, I still can't tell her enough.

Matt turned 13 in June and I swear a switch flipped. He sleeps until I wake him up. He goes to do something in another room, and forgets what it was before he gets there. He is wearing deodorant...usually. Every opportunity he has to comment on me being old, out of date, or generally "mom-ish," he takes it. Often, his little remarks are pretty funny. And he knows I think that. Which I'm sure is to my own demise.

He's such a good kid, and ultra responsible. He's growing up. And this momma doesn't like it. In fact, just this afternoon, he spent about an hour sitting right up next to me and watched Honey Boo Boo (don't judge!) with me. I didn't point out that I liked him just hanging out, or even noticed it, but it did occur to me that in the not too distant future, he won't want to snuggle up with his mom. So today, we bonded over Mama June, HBB, and Pumpkin, our favorite on the show (she's seriously crazy, and I can't help but love her!).

And Nathan, oh he's still the same. He doesn't do anything halfway. He's been perfecting his moves on a new skateboard. I can't watch him...it just makes me gasp out loud. And like any good teenage son, Matt makes fun of that. Nathan is so, so sweet. He truly melts me. I don't know if it's because he's such a replica of Andy or what, but one look from his big ol' eyes and I give him just about anything he wants. Seriously.

As for Andy and me...we're good! Andy has a new boss. I am still irritated that the old boss (and wife) had to leave. It just isn't okay with me! So far, so good though. He worked his tail off through the month of June so I'm glad things will settle down soon.

I saw my PH doctor at the beginning of June. Everything is status quo, just like I like it. I did switch one oral med that I take. It's a PH med that I'd been on for 7+ years. I absolutely hate to mess with what works, but the new med does the same job and isn't nearly as toxic to your liver. I figured my liver deserved a break so we switched. It was pretty seamless. Well, except for the Great Poisoning Incident of 2014.

GPI happened when Andy set up all my meds for the week (we do it once a week in a pill box marked Sun-Sat...you know, me and all my senior citizen friends) and did what he's done a million times. He put my oral PH med in the morning and in the nighttime meds. However, the new med that I switched to is only to be taken once a day. So for 5 days I took that twice a day. I knew that the new med might cause nausea or fatigue, etc... and it did. I was pretty miserable, but I figured I just needed to push through for a few weeks.

Or you know, take it once a day like you're supposed to. Once we figured it out and I took the actual prescribed dosage, I no longer had bad side effects! Wha-la! I've since named it the GPI and figured that's a goooood one and that I can get some mileage out of it.

Such is life! There is more going on with what Andy's next assignment might be and such, but it's a little early to share. I will have to post some pictures soon. The kids are growing too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment